Saturday, March 10, 2007

Question 8: 1984

* entry of your choice: My Room 101

The part of the book that left the most impression on me was Room 101. Room 101 is a torture chamber where the victim gets tortured by their worst fear. Since the party knows everything, they would know your biggest fear no matter how hard you tried to keep it hidden. Room 101 definitely brought about very strange feelings for me. I ended up thinking about myself and I imagined that, if I were in the place of Winston, what would I do??? I am sure I would do the same thing that Winston did, and betray my companion, although I cannot make that decision without actually being there and going through the events that Winston faced.

My biggest fear is of SPIDERS and DEATH. I am terrified of both of these things to the extreme and I can't imagine what the party would do to me with spiders or death. :O It is a very scary thought!! I do not know how the party would portray death but I presume it would be in a terrifying way.

What caught my interest was that Winston was not really frightened by Room 101 at first but more intrigued and interested in the room. He witnessed people doing anything to escape from going to Room 101, yet when it came time for his turn to enter Room 101 he did not show any resistance like some others had. Winston is a very confusing character at times but I enjoyed learning and coming to understand some of his complex characteristics in the novel 1984.

1 comment:

African Globe Trotters. said...

Wow! Rebecca - this is a unique post. I would never want to experience room 101. I am terrified of frogs! So the plagues in Egypt would have been the end of me. Mrs.Mc.