Saturday, February 17, 2007

Question 4: Fahrenheit 451

* who are the main characters in the novel? do you like them? why or why not? what is special about them? what do they reveal about the universal human experience?

The main characters in this novel are Guy Montag, Beatty, Mildred, Faber and Clarisse McClellan. I really liked the characters Montag, Faber and Clarisse because they were willing to oppose the government and fight for their rights and the knowledge that the books hold. (Except for Faber.) I liked Faber because he was the sort of person that reminded me of my Grampa. He is sort of shy but inside he has a longing and desire for the truth. Like Faber, he does not actually go through with what is running through his mind but keeps it to himself until the right moment. I liked Montag because he is battling internally with himself in so many areas of his life. He has stumbled upon a realization that his world is not what he thought it was, and he is confused at first about what to do about it. I can relate with Montag in many of these types of situations. Many of these characters reflect the personalities and character traits in today's society. I liked getting to know the characters because they reminded me of people in my family.
I didn't like the characters Mildred and Beatty. They were both living in a world of false realities. Mildred was so caught up with what the government was selling to her. I can relate with Beatty being stuck between two worlds and knowing what he was doing was wrong. I think everyone can relate with Beatty at least once in their lives.
The main characters in this novel reveal that when you go against the authoritiese you are shunned, rejected and victimized. "Going against the flow" is not accepted by anyone who does not want to change. Even though you may be "normal" or acting in a normal way, if it is not the way people usually do things it is considered abnormal and wierd.

No comments: