Saturday, February 17, 2007

Question 5: Fahrenheit 451

* please choose one passage from the novel that is significant to you. why is this passage meaningful? Please type it into one of your entries and comment on what you think about the passage.

Pg 162- "Look at the world out there, my God, look at it out there, outside me, out there beyond my face and where it's finally me, where it's in the blood, where it pumps around a thousand times ten thousand a day. I get hold of it so it'll never run off. I'll hold onto the world tight someday. I've got one finger on it now; that's a beginning."

During this scene, while Montag is saying this quote, he is looking at the city he has just escaped from. Montag has so many thoughts running through his head and he just stops to look at the world and what he may have done to shape it, or what he is going to do. In this scene he is seated with Granger and the other men around the campfire and they are about to leave to continue with their travels.

This passage is meaningful to me because it describes the purpose for which we live and breath in this world. I think we all have an obligation to do something meaningful with our lives, especially if we are Christians. If you read the Bible, it tells you you are supposed to go out and spread the word about Jesus, and to love others and serve them. If everyone did that, we would change the world. This passage touched me and made me sit and think about it for a couple of minutes. To stop and take a moment to ponder the world, and what you have done to shape it, is an odd and unsettling thought. I have, many times, thought of what kind of impression I might make in the world. How will I effect those that I love and those that I have never met? Therefore, this passage really touched me and related to me.

No comments: