Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Question 2: Ender's Game

* please choose one passage from the novel that is significant to you. why is this passage meaningful? Please type it into one of your entries and comment on what you think about the passage.

Pg 151, "He hated them and all their games. Hated them so badly that he cried, reading Val's empty asked-for letter again. The other boys in Phoenix Army noticed and looked away. Ender Wiggin crying? That was disturbing. Something terrible was going on. The best soldier in any army, lying on his bunk crying. The silence in the room was deep."
I find this passage meaningful because even though I am not a boy, I can still relate and have felt like this before. Not exactly like this because of course I have not gone to battle school and left my family but, I have experienced pain that has hurt so much you cry uncontrollably. It may not even be pain, but anger or hurt or frustration. I like this passage because it shows that Ender wasn't weary of being himself when hard struggles came along. Even though most boys never cried, Ender had no fear or regret that he did. This exposes him to be a "actual human-being". I personally have gone through hardships that have made me cry all through the night, but through these times where I have cried I have been happier with myself and have come to relize what is most important. So, I can connect with Ender through this passage in the book.

No comments: