Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Question 4: Ender's Game

* who are the main characters in the novel? do you like them? why or why not? what is special about them? what do they reveal about the universal human experience?

The main characters in this novel are Ender Wiggin, Colonel Graff, Valentine Wiggin, Peter Wiggin, Petra, Bean, Alai, and Shen. I like all of these characters very much except for Peter Wiggin and Colonel Graff. I don't like them because they are horribly cruel and take life to seriously. They both calculate every move they are about to make and only think about themselfs, as if the world revolves around them alone. I like Ender, Petra, Valentine, Bean, Alai, and Shen for all the opposite reasons. They are humans who have feelings and personalities. They can love one another even when they get mad, and they can also work together as a team. Their friendship is loyal and trustworthy. I feel comforted knowing that when Ender went into battle he had his best friends by his side. They were characters that I would want to be friends with. I can connect with some of them on different levels and you grow to love them through their personalities and behaviours. I came to really respect Petra and Alai in this novel as well. It may have been because they were leaders and bold, but I liked how they were "real" and weren't afraid to show who they really were. That is a very admerable thing. Each character represents a part of the world. Most people face different challenges and so do these characters. I don't think one person could represent the world but this group of friends could. Each character has a distinct characteristic about them and together they form a bond so strong, nothing can brake it.

No comments: